Monday, June 9, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: 1964 8 Metre Bobcat Catamaran Electric Drive

 

As long as the high and low cutoff can be user configured they would work.  You would also want a contact relay so that the BMS could shut the charger down if a single cell went out of range.      The 12 volt and 48 volt chargers are using the same feed in source so the limit is the watts used not the DC amps.  

120v 15a breaker can supply 1800 watts. 
1800 watts / 48 volt = 37.5 amps 
1800 watt / 12 volt = 150 amps
The limit is almost always the source watts, just Ohm's law in action. 

The largest charger you can realistically buy is a forklift battery charger:

You would need at least a 5000w generator to keep it feed. 



On Jun 9, 2014, at 12:11 PM, "albert682@yahoo.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Hi Group,

I'm kicking myself for even shipping the 48v Lester chargers up to Canada but done is done.  Can they even be used for charging Lithium Batteries?  If not I'll use them for the coach RV batteries.

Otherwise I've been reviewing inverter/chargers and have found that 12v inverter/chargers output more amps than 48v inverter/chargers.  Why is that?  Also if that is the case should I be looking at a 12v high output charger?

Each of my motors produces 80amps for a combined output of 160amps full throttle.  It would be nice to source out the components so that I can always return the same 160amps back to the bank.  So if I'm thinking correctly then I get a large stand alone inverter and run multiple 48v chargers back into the system.

Everyone seems to go for the elcon 1500 charger but at the outset I don't know for sure if it charges at more than 20amps which would take forever to charge a large bank. 

The safe limp home speed well it's more like the never going home speed I'm after.  I do concurr though the DC generator is the way to go but prohibitively expensive.  So AC generator(s) and a large output charger is what I'm after.

Arden

__._,_.___

Posted by: James Sizemore <yamez4u@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment