Friday, June 27, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] 48V Windlass

 

Can you really not tap off the 48V battery bank at 24 or 36V?
 
It's not ideal, but hopefully you wouldn't need to run the windlass long enough to drain half the bank. 

From: "Chris Hudson clh5_98@yahoo.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2014 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] 48V Windlass

 
Mark,
Thanks. I'd like to eliminate the need for more batteries.

Chris

Sent from myPhone



On Jun 27, 2014, at 15:21, "Mark F mark.internet@yahoo.ca [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 
1500 watts at 24 volts would be 62.5 Amps.
Would take a few DC/DC converters.
Possibly you could use the DC/DC to charge a small battery for the windlass.
Maybe some Dcell sized NIMH or Lipo batteries.
I beleive you can pull 10C out of most batteries.  So 6 Amphr batteries would probably provide the current (60 amps).
The question would be how long do you need to use the motor and how much time is available to recharge.

just one idea
From: "clh5_98@yahoo.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2014 4:05:32 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] 48V Windlass

 
Hi group, My 12 volt windlass motor went out and the whole unit is not worth fixing. I've been researching new ones. I've found a couple manufacturers that make ones that run on 24V and 32V. That got me thinking, I've got this huge 48V propulsion bank at my disposal. I called Ideal Windlass and they are checking with their motor supplier about a 48V motor. I believe they are DC series motors. If I can't get a 48V windlass, could I step down my 48V to 32V or even 24V? We are talking around 1500 watts. I'm wondering if I could parallel a few DC/DC converters, if they could handle the inrush. Is there a simpler way? Thanks, Chris




__._,_.___

Posted by: oak <oak_box@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment