Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] using dual DC motors with one controller

 

I'm sure you're probably already committed to the boat this is going in, but.....

It would be sweet to just have two motors driving two screws.   Then you have FULL redundancy, and the huge benefit of twin screws for docking maneuvers.  

Of course, you'd also have two holes in the bottom of the boat (which is still fewer than I have in my C-30 with an atomic 4 gas engine), and it would take a bit of space...

Just a brain fart....

But yest, it would be comforting to hear that you were able to parallel 2 motors to get the power you needed.  AND... if you have a way to easily unhook a belt, you would still have the redundancy of being able to run (at reduced speed / power) on one motor, if the other motor failed.


From: Mark F <mark.internet@yahoo.ca>
To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 2, 2013 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] using dual DC motors with one controller

 
Yes, I was planning on wiring them in parallel, but physically connected end to end.
I like your idea for mounting with reduction options.
I will have to check my space to do that.
Any chance there is an available mounting hardware for that type of arrangement?
Suspect it would be a custom build though

Thanks



From: Dominic Amann <dominic.amann@gmail.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 2, 2013 9:14:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] using dual DC motors with one controller

 
I could be wrong, but I don't think you would want to connect them serially (if that is what you mean by end-to-end). You would need a voltage of 180 to do that effectively. You should not have a problem connecting them in parallel.

If you mean a mechanical end-to-end (or same shaft) connection, then that should be ok - still with parallel wiring. I personally would prefer a side by side mounting with a belt and reduction drive to the screw shaft (in a triangle arrangement), but your needs (and space) could vary.


On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Mark F <mark.internet@yahoo.ca> wrote:
 
Hi
I am wondering if it is possible to run 2 identical DC motors from the same controller.
Part of me says it should be OK, but I also think they may fight each other and waste power.
The concept would be 2 90 volt DC motors attached end to end and then to the drive of my boat.

Any info appreciated

Mark




--

Dominic Amann
M 416-270-4587




__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment