Sunday, August 11, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Thunderstruck versus... well everyone else!

 

I bought 2 kits from Thunderstruck and certainly would not call them Cheesy. They use the same motors and controllers that some complete system builders do. What they don't give you is a complete drop in system with reduction included. They are after all selling a kit. When I was building my system, on the market there were complete systems, kits like what Thunderstruck offer, and lastly individual components you had to put together, build harnesses, program the controller, with little guidance. They filled a niche for me because I wanted to design my own reduction system but didn't want to be bogged down trying to figure out how to build harnesses, and program controllers etc. From them I got 2 plug and play systems programmed, tested and ready to run. I wanted to design my own reduction system to make better use of space available giving room to install my genset right where the old Perkins (bless his soul) used to sit. Now I've seen where some of the major systems builders have started to offer kits as well. 
Here's my opinion on the systems that use one big proprietary motor: When something goes wrong and you are in Timbuktu you might be there for a while. I'd much rather call Thunderstruck and ask them to ship me a 35 pound motor than the other outfit and ask them to ship me their 300 pounder (600 for my boat). But hey, they say their systems are good for 50,000 hours.

Regards,
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 9, 2013, at 12:17, asailor0905@aol.com wrote:

 

Hello , Bob here 


I too am new to this technology, I have a Catalina 30, Ive seen the ELCO website and am strongly considering this product.
Does anyone have comments regarding ELCO on this forum ?  Thunderstruck seems too "cheesy" and I do not want to mess with the
mounting etc, rather spend time on the water , plug/play & go - any problems and I know who to call, same reason I wouldn't build my own laptop, 

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (15)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment