Saturday, August 17, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: Thunderstruck versus... well everyone else!

 

Late addition on this: I converted my 25HP 2-stroke Tohatsu outboard to electric in the Spring of 2003, initially using an ADC 4002 series-wound DC motor with a Curtis 1206 controller with inductive throttle control.  I quickly learned that I couldn’t keep my motor cool enough at speed even with the motor cowl off.  By the summer, I began considering upgrading to a B&S ETEK PM brush motor, but needed convincing.  After attending the 2003 Woodburn Electric Drag Races and seeing 3 or 4 motorcycle conversions ripping down the track with ETEK motors, I was ready to step up.  Thunderstruck Motors were racing their motorcycle(s) that day and I knew right then I wanted to buy one of these 20#, 8HP motors from them.  That was 10 years ago this month.  I’m still running my boat with the first set of brushes (I have 2 spare sets).  While I couldn’t comment on their kits or anything else, Thunderstruck was great to deal with and my motor has worked well for me for 10 years now and is going strong.

 

-Myles Twete, Portland, Or.

26’ The Reach of Tide electric: www.evalbum.com/492

 

 

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (36)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment