Monday, August 12, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: Current state of affairs

 

Thanks Eric,

You make it sound doable!

So the issue of the range is that where I am (Saanich inlet in Vancouver Island), the topography is islands, inlets and passages. Some of the passages that I have to go through have strong currents most of the time. Up to 7 knots. Even as a weekender, I can't always plan on their slack. So for one or two hours in each passage, I do need full power even under sail. The winds are very variable. On nice days when it's most enjoyable to sail, they come as gusts, punctuated by long periods of no wind. On stormy days (in Autumn, Winter and some of Spring) there is too much wind and many sailboats are wiser to stay at port.

I think I can make the electric option work. I don't need too much power (except for the passages). Most of the time though just enough to get in and out of port.

However, my boat is a blue water boat, and I would like at some point to take it far. I guess a good generator then is the way to go? Or perhaps keep the volvo and use it as the generator? At some point one of the vendors was suggesting it.

How long do the lithium batteries last? When do you need a new set?

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment