Saturday, August 17, 2013

[Electric Boats] another round of bank/charger questions DC-DC converters

 

I've got 4 6V GC batteries in parallel/series as house batts. Installing an electric drive system. Plan is to use 8 of the same batteries for the drive bank in series for 48V.

Here goes:

1) I could ditch the housebank and use a 48-12V DC-DC from the drive bank to power 12V house. Apart from the question of whether it's a good idea, here's the problem: I already have wind/solar charging set up for 12V. Question: could I use a 12v to 48v DC-DC converter to trickle charge my 48V bank, or would that not do any good (probably only end up being 1-4A max @ 48V. Would my MPPT controller not like the fact that it's going in to a DC-DC controller rather than a battery?

2) If I keep both banks: Is there a 48V to 12V DC-DC unit that will also charge my house batteries? This would eliminate having two shore power chargers in the system. I suppose I would at least need a 12V 3-stage charger that runs on 48V input. would have thought a solar MPPT would fit the bill here but I can't find one that will take 48V input and charge 12v output.

3) for the 48V shore power charger, I plan to use Iota (already have a dsl-55 for house). I could get a single 48V 13A charger, or for not that much more, two 24V/25A chargers (more in line with the capacity of the bank). If I hook them up across half the battery pack each, is there a problem? They would both be driven from the same power source, would I need isolators on the A/C side?

Thank you very much, this forum is a fantastic resource!

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment