Monday, February 11, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] Torqeedo Electric Outboard on a Catalina 30

 

Hey Eric,

I might point out that "The Group" does not endorse vendors. Many group
members state the experience they have had with vendors and state their
likes and dislikes. It is not a Group endorsement of any kind. If you
feel adventurous you can write that you recommend these vendors
personally, but please don't obligate the group on your behalf. This
group "is" a place to share what we know, and is not in business to
recommend any business. Yes it is splitting straws but that's the reason
for all the foolish warnings on products these days.

Hey John,
After reading this:

"I sail on an inland lake, with moderate winds (5-20mph), some waves (no worse than the boat wake - nothing at all compared to bay or open water sailing), and no currents. Â I primarily NEED auxiliary power to get in and out of the marina, and would *like* to be able to cruise a couple of hours beyond that.

Long story short, I ended up buying a Torqeedo 4.0 outboard electric motor, mounted on a outboard motor mount on the back of the Catalina 30. Â It's feed by 4 deep cycle "marine" batteries that I got at Academy - basically heavy duty lead acid batteries. Â Nothing special. Â I have a 3Amp ac charger to charge the 48V bank."

I thought I might tell a story. Of all the inland and blue water I have
sailed. I would rather be underpowered at sea. In central New Mexico I
sailed a 22' boat. Being a fair sailor, I thought I would launch her and
rely on sail alone. No outboard just sail as I had done in the smaller
boats of my past. I found myself in a blow I could not overcome, and
could not hide from. Had I not had an anchor I would have been on the
shore facing legal issues.

After I graduated to a Catalina 30 and ocean sailing I spent a night 60
miles off shore without steering and hove too, sleeping on deck
comfortably, with radar going, in Gail force wind and wave much worse
than those I encountered on a lake in New Mexico years earlier. What I
found was, I would much rather be underpowered at sea with miles of lee
way, than inland with only at best a couple of miles to play and no
place to hide.

On inland lakes or in a harbor it is irresponsible to be under powered,
take it from someone that was totally irresponsible on a New Mexico
inland lake. You never know the conditions you might meet up with upon
return to port.

Kevin Pemberton

On 02/07/2013 06:47 PM, Eric wrote:
> If you're thinking about an inboard installation, I suggest that you check out all of the group "preferred vendors"; Advanced Marine electric Propulsion, Annapolis Hybrid Marine, Electric Yacht and Propulsion Marine. Each of these vendors have a number of successful conversions represented by members of this group and have been supportive of the work being done by people here.
>
> I personally chose Propulsion Marine based on my perception of price, performance and value and would recommend them highly. That said, I haven't heard of problems with any of these vendors. I do suggest that everybody considering converting to electric should do their own research and make the choice that fits them best.
>
> Fair winds and smooth seas,
> Eric
> 1964 Bermuda 30 ketch, 5.5kW Propulsion Marine drive, 8kWh Lithium batteries
> Marina del Rey, CA
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, donald bland wrote:
>> Thanks John!
>> That was quite the interesting, now the 4.0 is the largest Torquedo currently available right?
>> So if you have the miserable atomic 4 still in place , you could talk to Mike Gun or George ( both on this blog) and they could help you eliminate the gasoline dangers and fumes, and have a real electric power house , I think Mike actually has a Catalina 30 or larger as a matter of fact, he is the California dealer for Electric Yacht , and George is the new england dealer for same. they are both quite interesting and knowledgeable fellows, so I recommend you chit chat with them a bit , whilst thinking over your future plans.
>>
>> ________________________________
>> From: Wes Johnson
>> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
>> Sent: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:32 PM
>> Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Torqeedo Electric Outboard on a Catalina 30
>>
>> Can you tell us a little about the cost of your Torqueedo setup, with batteries? Any installation surprises?
>>
>> --- On Tue, 2/5/13, oak wrote:
>>
>>
>>> From: oak
>>> Subject: [Electric Boats] Torqeedo Electric Outboard on a Catalina 30
>>> To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com"
>>> Date: Tuesday, February 5, 2013, 10:25 AM
>>>
>>>
>>> Â
>>> The following is just as a quick point of reference for anyone interested - this was not a scientific study, and I definitely do NOT have nearly enough data to be definitive.... Â Â (end disclaimer)
>>>
>>>
>>> Over the past several months, I've been fighting a fussy Atomic 4 gas engine on my 1981 Catalina 30.
>>>
>>>
>>> I sail on an inland lake, with moderate winds (5-20mph), some waves (no worse than the boat wake - nothing at all compared to bay or open water sailing), and no currents. Â I primarily NEED auxiliary power to get in and out of the marina, and would *like* to be able to cruise a couple of hours beyond that.
>>>
>>>
>>> Long story short, I ended up buying a Torqeedo 4.0 outboard electric motor, mounted on a outboard motor mount on the back of the Catalina 30. Â It's feed by 4 deep cycle "marine" batteries that I got at Academy - basically heavy duty lead acid batteries. Â Nothing special. Â I have a 3Amp ac charger to charge the 48V bank.
>>>
>>>
>>> Sunday, we finally had a chance to take the boat out and run a little with the outboard. Â Once we were away from the dock and out on the lake, I was running at about 1000W, and stable at about 3.0-3.2MPH, according to both the GPS built into the Torqeedo (nice), and confirmed by a hand-held GPS. Â This was INTO the wind and waves. Â Just to see what would happen, I increased the power / throttle till the Torqeedo was reading 2000W. Â This increased my speed to about 4 MPH (double the power, 25% increase in speed - that felt about right). Â By contrast, on the way home, we were running downwind (just electric motor, no sails, but a Catalina 30 still has a lot of freeboard to be influenced by the wind). Â Downwind, we still ran at about 1000W, but this time were going about 4MPH.
>>>
>>>
>>> As a separate point of reference, MOST of the motoring we did was actually using the gas engine. Â For the ~1.5 hours that we motored on the 30HP gas Atomic 4 engine, we burned about 1.5 gallons of gas (this is a VERY rough estimate - I wasn't watching the clock that close, and I don't have any kind of gauge on the gas tank). Â At very modest throttle, the gas engine drove the boat easily at 6 MPH.
>>>
>>>
>>> Observations:
>>>
>>>
>>> Since the gas engine can easily drive the boat to 6MPH, I know I'm nowhere near hull speed when the electric is at 3-4mph.
>>>
>>>
>>> The electric is rated to run up to 4KW. Â However, with the (cheap) batteries that I have currently, I can get 1-2 hours of run time at 1000W (at least from dock tests - need to confirm this on the water).
>>>
>>>
>>> 3MPH is fairly slow, but is definite progress. Â Â There have been summer days with light air that I've sailed much slower than that... Â Â :)
>>>
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I'm ready to REPLACE the gas engine with the outboard.  But it is definitely nice to have both, so I know I've got a backup when it's time to go in and out of the marina.  When out running around on the lake - if both gas and electric work, then I can exhaust one or the other  (probably the gas for it's range and speed), and still be able to sail back to the marina, and use the alternate motor to get into the slip.
>>>
>>>
>>> John
>
>

--
Committing murder in exchange for lifestyle
makes you a "thug" not a "Rights Activist"

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (20)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment