Monday, February 18, 2013

[Electric Boats] treadmill motor for outboard conversion

 

I have continued on my project to run my outboard with a treadmill motor.
I have the motor mounted and have wired it into the boat.
I have a 500W inverter to power the treadmill controller.
The boat had its 1st electric voyage yesterday.
My boat is a 1979 Glascon speed boat, 15.5 ft trihull boat.
I was able to power myself around the lake at approx 1 to 2 mile per hour.
It was nice, no 2 stroke smoke, and very quiet.
With the reduced weight in the back and the battery near the front, the boat was much more level as well.

I have been trying different inverter combinations and this is what I have so far.
Using a Killawatt meter at the inverter AC output/input to treadmill controller, this is what I have.

Direct to wall A/C max 1000Watt will not work well with boat:(
1500W inverter 400W
600W inverter 350W
500W inverter 350W

I am taking 12Volts DC and converting it to 110V A/C and the treadmill controller is converting it to 90V pulsed DC.

Would it be possible for me to take 2 inverters and 2 controllers and connect them both to the DC treadmill motor at the same time to increase my power?
This would stay at 90Volts, but hopefully with 2 sets of pulsed DC, I would get more power.

I am guessing it would be OK, but somewhat worried I may see smoke.

Any comments appreciated.

I will try to figure out how to post pictures and a Video.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment