Friday, February 15, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] Torqeedo Electric Outboard on a Catalina 30

 

HI Kevin,

Yes, I know that the Group doesn't endorse any particular vendor (hence my use of quotation marks on the term "preferred", but it had been a while since anyone had listed the vendors that have had consistently good reviews from the members here. I took this as an opportunity to let new members know that there are a number of vendors supplying similar products and that they should do their own research to see which vendor might meet their particular needs the best. There are a number of other vendors, past the four that I mentioned that have not had reviews that were as consistently positive as this list, but if you look back across the last many years in this goup's posts, each of these "preferred" vendors has contributed positively to this group by providing knowledge and quality systems to those who choose to buy from them. I know that the group owner is OK with me mentioning this short list of vendors and has encouraged me directly about my posts in the past.

Personally I've only bought from one electric boat inboard drive vendor, only one large boat conversion so far. But I've dealt with all of these vendors on and off this list, and would personally recommend each of them (which is basically what I did).

As far as your other statement about being safely underpowered, you may want to add most coastal sailing to your list of harbors and inland lakes, where sufficient power is advisable, basically anywhere you might find a lee shore within a few miles. I don't think that many of the electric boat owners here spend very much time in truly blue water conditions, and even then you eventually end up back near land at some point, and that's where we all want everyone to be safe.

BTW, do you have any electric performance numbers available from your Catalina 30? Like I've said before, any real world performance data is a real help to others here.

Fair winds and smooth seas,
Eric
1964 Bermuda 30 ketch, 5.5kW Propulsion marine drive, 8kWh Lithium batteries
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Pemberton wrote:
>
> Hey Eric,
>
> I might point out that "The Group" does not endorse vendors. Many group
> members state the experience they have had with vendors and state their
> likes and dislikes. It is not a Group endorsement of any kind. If you
> feel adventurous you can write that you recommend these vendors
> personally, but please don't obligate the group on your behalf. This
> group "is" a place to share what we know, and is not in business to
> recommend any business. Yes it is splitting straws but that's the reason
> for all the foolish warnings on products these days.
>
>
> Hey John,
> After reading this:
>
> "I sail on an inland lake, with moderate winds (5-20mph), some waves (no worse than the boat wake - nothing at all compared to bay or open water sailing), and no currents. Â I primarily NEED auxiliary power to get in and out of the marina, and would *like* to be able to cruise a couple of hours beyond that.
>
>
> Long story short, I ended up buying a Torqeedo 4.0 outboard electric motor, mounted on a outboard motor mount on the back of the Catalina 30. Â It's feed by 4 deep cycle "marine" batteries that I got at Academy - basically heavy duty lead acid batteries. Â Nothing special. Â I have a 3Amp ac charger to charge the 48V bank."
>
>
> I thought I might tell a story. Of all the inland and blue water I have
> sailed. I would rather be underpowered at sea. In central New Mexico I
> sailed a 22' boat. Being a fair sailor, I thought I would launch her and
> rely on sail alone. No outboard just sail as I had done in the smaller
> boats of my past. I found myself in a blow I could not overcome, and
> could not hide from. Had I not had an anchor I would have been on the
> shore facing legal issues.
>
> After I graduated to a Catalina 30 and ocean sailing I spent a night 60
> miles off shore without steering and hove too, sleeping on deck
> comfortably, with radar going, in Gail force wind and wave much worse
> than those I encountered on a lake in New Mexico years earlier. What I
> found was, I would much rather be underpowered at sea with miles of lee
> way, than inland with only at best a couple of miles to play and no
> place to hide.
>
> On inland lakes or in a harbor it is irresponsible to be under powered,
> take it from someone that was totally irresponsible on a New Mexico
> inland lake. You never know the conditions you might meet up with upon
> return to port.
>
>
> Kevin Pemberton
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (21)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment