Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Outboard.. from scratch (was: Electric speedboat revisited)

 

I think that an odd number of u-joints will not give you a nearly constant velocity output. With even numbers the pairs tend to cancel the inherent distortion in u-joints. 


On Jun 6, 2012, at 1:05 PM, Craig Carmichael wrote:

 


>U-joints? how long are they gonna put up with being power-stressed?

I intend to find out. I think they should be more efficient than
gears. At least they should generate little heat, and I intend that
they'll be running in oil. I'm somewhat concerned about using just
two U-joints at 45º each, tho it would fit easiest. might be enough.
I'm more confident that three, each bending 30º, would run smoothly.
Four at 22.5º I hope would be overkill.

If they wear out quickly I may end up getting more sophisticated and
making ones with bronze bushings or ball bearings for the job.

Or there's CV joints, which are always twisting under power stress,
and with only grease for lubrication. I've never actually looked at
one open.

The smaller it all can be, the thinner the bottom end can be.

Craig


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment