Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Backups

 

Hi Myles,

As with all inverters there is monitoring going on of the DC bus. In the case of the genset if the engine is capable of producing more than 1600w to the bus then you can get more out of it. The finals of the inverter can power 2000w so should keep on truckin for a while. The cooling of the finals may be in question however and may reduce life expectancy of the inverter. It's all in the designed duty cycle and 2000w is starting power so has a very short duty cycle. 

Not only are the FETs in danger of overheating the coils of the generator may overheat.  I do the same with my inverter generator but am willing to replace the inverter if needed as the thing has already surpassed my expected product life. I was much more cautious when it was newer. now I just want to know what I can get out of it.

Kevin Pemberton

On 06/16/2012 01:02 PM, Myles Twete wrote:

 

One thing to add to Eric’s wisdom here:

 

The EU2000i is rated for 1600watts continuous.  I have successfully run continuously with both of my chargers plugged into the genset, each charger (Lestronic 36v and home-configured VICOR 48v power supply) putting a measured 20-amps into the 36v battery pack.  So assuming the pack voltage underway is at 35.5v and we’re delivering 40amps to it---that’s 1420watts DC to the 36v system.  Assuming the AC were truly limited to 1600watts, the combined efficiency in converting AC to DC I see is an incredible 89%.  The Vicor is rated at above 85% as I recall…and as Eric notes, the Lestronic probably isn’t that good (though perhaps not as bad as he notes), so until I actually measure it, I’m inclined to believe that the genset is delivering a steady power in this scenario above its rated 1600watt level.  The point I’m making here I guess is that although in theory one would arguably only expect perhaps 75% of 1600watts, or 1200watts into the 36v system from my generator, in practice, my setup (including the Lestronic) delivers 16% more than that…probably at the expense of a 16% greater consumption of fuel JL

 

In case this helps-

 

-Myles Twete, Portland, Or.

 

From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Eric
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 9:59 AM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Backups

 

 

Hi Matthew,

Lestronic chargers are typically "old school" transformer based chargers with no advanced charging profiles so they will continue to put out full bulk charging rates as long as the pack voltage stays low enough. They will do this for days, and will gladly melt down batteries that


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment