Saturday, June 16, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] NiMH Batteries Suppressed; Dept.of Progress

 

>I sometimes wonder if all Nimh packs had had BMS's as they should have,
>would they be far more popular?

What I plan for my 36 V Electric hubcap motor systems using PbPb or
NiMH (assuming I ever get my ass off the computer chair, into the
shop, and get them finished) is three chargers, each a floating 12
volts (actually 13.8 V), thus dividing the cells into three
separately "managed" 12 V banks for charging. This avoids the worst
potential imbalances.

It seems to me you could even mix different age/style PbPb's and even
different chemistries, as long as single batteries are used, or
uniform batteries are paralleled, in each 12 volt section, and as
long as the weakest section doesn't get run down too far in use. (ie,
if you had 120 AH : 85 AH : 100 AH in the 3 sections, it has to be
treated as an 85 AH battery.)

I saw this on a U-tube video with an electric car conversion - the
guy had a separate charger sitting on each PbPb battery. I thought
that seemed bizarre until I thought some more about it.

---

>My Thundersky LiFePO4s weigh 5.6 kg.  [3.2v x 160Ah]/5.6 kg = 91.4 wh/kg

Thanks Ned - I'll update my database on those.

Craig

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment