Tuesday, June 12, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: Backups

 

Hi Anne,

I second Pat's suggestion to reset the motor/controller and restart at a reduced throttle setting. Why were you at full throttle? I don't think you were getting more than knot of boat speed more at full throttle compared to a 1/4 - 1/3 throttle setting. You should be able to motor many hours at a 20 amp draw or so. What kind of boat do you have?

Mark
Santa Cruz

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, amracel@... wrote:
>
> I borrowed a friend's generator the last time I did this trip. But,
> since I hadn't needed it at all on the way down or back, I figured it
> was extra weight I could do without (heading to a race). But, since
> the rental place only charges $25/day for the things, guess I'll be
> safe next time.
>
> So you did run the engine while using the charger, even though it's
> not rated to do that? What is the possible danger in that practice then?
>
> Anne
>
> > I carry a little Honda generator for that situation. My charger is
> > also rated to cope with that sort of 'abuse' (batteries under load
> > while the charger is trying to charge them). The charger only puts
> > out half the current required to run the motor at full speed, but
> > running at half power gives me more than 3/4 of top speed anyway.
>
> > Other than testing the concept (I ran for about an hour one day
> > balancing the motor current against the output of the charger with
> > the Honda fuming away on deck) - I've never needed to use the Honda
> > in 'series hybrid' mode to get home. But I test and pack the Honda
> > each outing anyway. My boat is a launch not a sail boat - so if my
> > electrics fail, it's try to row the thing back or call for a tow. :-)
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment