Thursday, September 10, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric Ericson 27 Long Beach California

 

Congratulations Scott!  You are an inspiration... I will be interested to see what kind of range/hull speed specs you Ericson will achieve with that set up...  

Jerry

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:06 AM, scottcoo@gmail.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 
[Attachment(s) from scottcoo@gmail.com [electricboats] included below]

I had a milestone yesterday with the conversion of my Ericson 27... sea trials with the new electric motor! Yeah!  As many have said the biggest challenge can be the removal of the old diesel.  And this held true for me as well.  Did a haul out which included bottom paint, top paint, diesel out, tank out, wires, cables, hoses, out, out, out, un-needed thru holes patched, prop and shaft cleaning, zincs, cutlass bearing, stuffing box replacement, cleaned and painted engine compartment... about 2 weeks of hard, but satisfying work spread over a 3 week period.  I have a partner helping with the boat restoration, so it wasn't all me.  Then installed the new electric motor which in comparison was nothing.  The most challenging part was laying out the motor mounts (reused the old diesel mounts) to align with the prop shaft, but since the motor + mount + gear reduction weighed slightly more than 60lbs, it was a breeze compared to wrangling into alignment the old  250lbs diesel.  Then it was time for a break and to stop paying boat yard fees, so we dropped it back into the water and I ordered the batteries and charger.  I have attached a couple photos, some mounting and wire bundling still needs to happen along with a battery case that goes where the old gas tank.  I also have a short movie (MOV) that I can send to anyone interested (not a Spielberg).


Below are the parts that I used for those looking to jump into the electrical boating world.  And please note, that this is not a recommendation for any of the parts as of yet.  One sea trial does not make a glowing review, but so far I am very happy with the parts and the service from the companies I dealt with.

Stuffing Box replacement:  PSS dripless Shaft Seal (not a drip so far)
Engine stuff:   ThunderstruckEV.com which included (5kw sailboat kit, Mount and Gear Reduction, Sevcon Clearview display
Battery stuff:   ElectricYachts.com (4) 105 AH Lifeline AGM's, QuickCharge 48v charger

As for the sea trials, it was a little bit of toodling around the marina, getting familiar with the controls, speed, checking for leaks, vibrations, unnatural noises.  Then a slightly longer trek out into the sound of about 1.5nm. The Sevcon display showed about a 95% full "tank" charge on return.  I was taking it easy, no high revs or shooting for hull speed, so I am very optimistic that the 105Ah battery pack will do what I need at this stage of sailboat ownership.  My fallback is to buy the tiny Honda 2000 generator for a longer trip up Puget Sound, although there are enough marina's along the way (South Puget Sound north to the San Juan Islands) that I think an overnight stay at a guest dock here and there might let me recharge all along the way (not sure about that yet).

The battery sizing was difficult for me, so many variables.  So I took a shot in the dark and bought the 105ah AGM's,  The battery dimensions, weight and amp hours all played a role in my decision.  Time will tell if that was a good decision.

A final note to those following the electric conversion path, one of the other members on this board suggested taking my time in making the conversion, (two years).  I think that was excellent advice, tossing in some patience let me research and plan without feeling pressured, although at times it was tough to sit at the marina while others were out playing in the wind and waves.  

Thanks to everyone on this message board, without this kind of support I never would have tried this conversion.  So even if I didn't correspond with you directly, I expect that I read your posting.

Cheers,
-Scott






--

__._,_.___

Posted by: Jerry Nevins <jnevins@jnevins.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (35)

Check out the automatic photo album with 2 photo(s) from this topic.
IMG_1128 (Medium).JPG IMG_1127 (Medium).JPG


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment