Monday, September 7, 2015

[Electric Boats] Thanks to King of New Orleans

 

Bad roller bearing on the main drive shaft on the lower unit.  You can hear the bearing above the 45 deg. angle gear "cogging" around the shaft now.  Simple, bearing race shot, needs shimming !!   Strange that I didn't notice that until I got all the covers and seals off, and could see the bearing race.  I might think that the cover pressed down on the bearings and muffled a noise that was way easier to hear once the main cover and gasket rings were opened up.  Both I and another mechanic, --- and using a stethoscope ---  were sure the sound was inside the lower gear case, but sound can travel inside a case and shaft like that.
 
The book shows two required bearing retainer washers not there at all, and only one bowed and rusty shim.  Good thing the lower seals held, or the unit would have had water inside.   Tuesday I will get with the mechanic, a couple of them in fact, and see what all needs to be fixed.  Glad I pulled the unit again, but wished I did more testing before the last go round – assuming stuff can get you into trouble, eh.
 
have a great holiday,    Cal
 

__._,_.___

Posted by: "cal" <h20dragon@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (28)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment