Saturday, September 5, 2015

[Electric Boats] Electric Boats ) ----- Latest Notes on EV outboard lower unit noise

 

Got it, at last !!  I am still glad to know the lower gear train is good, so that is a plus.  I removed the lower unit, nope no water pump left on.  THEN, I removed the drive shaft cover, and oil seal, hah.  In looking at the book, I had no spacing washers left, plus the shims were not there either.  The bearing was shot, and producing the "cogging" sound or motion, plus being really sloppy up and down.  So, the drive shaft 90 deg. gear was just sloppy fitting in the housing, 1/8 in play vertical.   When lifted slightly it shut right up, totally quiet.  I have ordered new bearings, spacers, shims, seals, and will do a refit on that section.  Guess I will also have a chat with the repair guy next week too, very surprised he didn't catch that.  OR -- am I glad to have it checked for gear function at low cost first, and I will now know it is fixed, with new stuff from iBoats, at a way lower cost than a hired repair shop total rebuild price ??
 
PS __ Also prop on the way, 12.5 X 11 If I recall today.  That should give more oomph, than the old 12 by ??  cracked blade, and a bent web, that it had before.  Replacing ground off skeg, to protect that prop better.
 
Getting there -----   Cal 
 
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 6:49 AM
Subject: Re: Reply to --- [Electric Boats] Notes on EV outboard lower unit noise
 
 

A good idea, that crossed my mind too.  First I used the wrong "Lubriplate" white lube as too thick, as a first trial to take up sounds,  Then on the rebuild, or how to spend money to fix stuff right, we looked – or I hope he did – for things that could make noise through wear.   He didn't find anything, nor even need any new parts, just a clean and rebuild with what was there.  If there was wear, I'm sure he would have replaced any bad parts.   Trying more clearance in the coupling, as per a different post, and maybe different web, as I mentioned yesterday.
 
Later, and Thanks,   Cal
 
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2015 12:49 PM
Subject: Re: Reply to --- [Electric Boats] Notes on EV outboard lower unit noise
 
 

I just thought of something. Is the lower unit well-used? could be the thrust bearing is worn and the gears do not mesh properly in fwd anymore. Which would be why it might be quieter in rev.

__._,_.___

Posted by: "cal" <h20dragon@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment