Monday, September 21, 2015

[Electric Boats] Re: Charger Replacement Recommendations?

 

I have never seen ANY smart charger that does a proper equalizing charge. That would be 62v for a 48v bank, by the way. I put a full manual charger together for equalization. Note to myself: its about time to do that to my propulsion bank.

I think you will get off lighter, price wise, by buying a 4 bank charger than a straight 48v charger. If there is room, keep your old charger as a backup. If one charging circuit of your new charger goes out, you can use one of the surviving ones in your old charger in a pinch. Or if you have a 12v house bank it could serve as a backup charger for that. Anyway I see 4 bank chargers of respectable size on sale often at Cabelas or Worst Marine quite often.

I had a Chinese 48v charger that came with my Kelly controller setup, but it went north on me and I bought one of those 4 bank chargers from West Marine to replace it and it has held up pretty good so far.

Meanwhile I picked up a nice 3kva Variac, a 100a 250v bridge rectifier, and an ammeter, for manual charging. Works great. Needs constant monitoring of course, and extra safety precautions due to not having an isolation transformer but it will gitter done. I have already brought two "dead" batteries back to life with it. The nice thing is I can charge just about anything with it because the voltage is constantly variable. My propulsion bank is 8 6v golf cart batteries and I can equalize them one at a time, or do an 8v or 12v batt, a bank up to 96v, whatevah.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment