Friday, September 18, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] Charger Replacement Recommendations?

Hi Ernie,

I think that it's funny that for your application the 15A QuadPro touts "Ignition Protected". :-) I couldn't find any technical specs for this charger, as I look askance at chargers that are identical for FLA and AGM... hopefully, it doesn't have an "Equalize" cycle. They say in their blurb that it is "fully repairable", so that might be a cost-effective option for you.
http://www.dualpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PS4b-insert.pdf
They also say it is "Trouble Free" :-)

As a boots-and-suspenders kinda guy I would pick up a couple of inexpensive smart 12V chargers, use your remaining two good channels on the QuadPro (if you don't fix it), and then pick up a serious 48v charger. Do your bulk charging with the 48v charger and let the four individual chargers finish the job, tapering off to float. Be nice if the four all had the same float voltage specs. You could also run both the individual chargers and the 48v charger at the same time if you're in a hurry to recharge.

I assume that your bank consists of four Deka 4D? If I recall, the max recommended charging voltage at room ambient is 14.4vdc. Dunno what the QuadPro does. To do it right, really should have a charger with temperature sensor and temperature compensation... the QuadPro says it is temperature compensated, but what does it use to measure temperature (one of the terminals?)?

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations as I go with any inexpensive charger that publishes and gives me decent specifications that match my needs. For example, I bought over a dozen of these $40 10A units (they were cheaper when I bought them) to charge Optimas (in a series string) in a non-marine application many moons ago and they're still going strong (but have no temperature compensation and have a voltage that would be too high for a Deka AGM (but you can stick a Schottky diode in series to drop that voltage)):
http://www.batteryspace.com/leadacidsmartcharger10afor12vleadacidbatteryforworldwideuse.aspx
They work, but I'm not necessarily endorsing them, especially for a marine application.
I've always been partial to Victron Energy products, but they're usually way too pricey.

Good luck,

JoeS.



On Sep 17, 2015, at 22:33 , ernestgalvan@yahoo.com [electricboats] wrote:

>
>
> I have an Ericson 30+ with a Thoosa 9K motor. My only charging is done with shore power. My charger, a QuadPro has died. Well, half-died It's 4 12V chargers in a package, and 2 out of 4 are dead.
>
> What do people here like for replacement? Another QuadPro? Something that instead would charge the whole 48 bank instead of charging each 12V battery separately? (Battery is made up of four 4D 12v 198 Amp Hour AGMs.)
> I would like to maximize options like adding solar or running off a portable generator like Bianka does. Does that impact my charger options?
>
> Any thoughts on Iota? OnNoco Genius? DSR Industries? DualPro Eagle? Others I have not thought of?
>
> The general topic of charging the whole 48V bank versus each battery? If you do that do you use a separate 4 bank charger for equalization?
>
> --Ernie Galvan
>
> S/V Zenergy
>
>
>
>
>



------------------------------------

------------------------------------


------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment