Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] 1000W Scooter motor plus Gamefisher outboard leg?

 

YES, got a "battery gauge"  for a quick look indicator.   these wheelchairbatteries are engineered for 80% draw down without deterioration as long as they are brought back up to full charge soon after use, not storing them in drawn-down condition.

on roundtrip tours where I must not be stranded with little kids mid-lake, I have two new fully-charged 12v batteries, held unused in reserve.

If I exhaust my main bank of 4 (4 x 12 v  =  48v)  I can switch in the 24v pair (2 x 12v)   ....24v  runs the boat at a slow battery conserving 275watt consumption rate....you may be late, but you will definitely make it back with led lights blazing all the way.

PS.  I highly recommend a watt gauge/voltage gauge  that continuously digitally reads out the exact wattage you are consuming, refreshing every few seconds. (abOUT $24. E-BAY)

If you time your voyage and know rate of wattage consumtion, you can do the math...also a knot meter can tell you your battery strength dropping off in speed per given thrttle position,unless wind conditions dramatically change from tail wind to headwind.

In general, its a gut felling you develop for what energy level/range you have left.  this is helped by gauges that inform you as to actual voltage / wattage readouts
 
                     Bill Hopen   -  www.billhopen.com
       Hopen Studio Inc -  227 Main St., Sutton WV 26601
          304 -765-5611                  billhopen@yahoo.com


From: "'cal' h20dragon@centurytel.net [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, September 6, 2015 3:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] 1000W Scooter motor plus Gamefisher outboard leg?

 
Sounds great Bill, one minor point could be added that a total draw down on batteries, might make for a replacement more often.   Mostly I hear of 50% battery use before some damage over time.  I would bet that any kid, (or adult) would "screw it on" for the thrill of faster, and have a problem at some point, wind picking up etc.   Maybe a small alarm timer to alert the driver that a return trip is imminent, settable for 1/2 trip, wind, current or lunch with shorter cruise times works for me.  Hate to miss cocktail hour, or run low on the return leg.  I also have a volt gauge to watch, on all boats – but the alarm works better for me.
 
Later, -------  Cal
 


Sent: Friday, August 28, 2015 8:40 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] 1000W Scooter motor plus Gamefisher outboard leg?
 
 
I get UBS  12v/50 AH wheel chair batteries, 25 lbs about $90.  delivered free
 
                     Bill Hopen   -  www.billhopen.com
       Hopen Studio Inc -  227 Main St., Sutton WV 26601
          304 -765-5611                  billhopen@yahoo.com
 

From: "yotatruck91@yahoo.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2015 10:23 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] 1000W Scooter motor plus Gamefisher outboard leg?
 
 
I've been dabbling cheap Chinese scooters motors lately planning for a battery powered ride-on toy build for my daughter and I found that a 1000W 36V motor can be had for about $100 shipped.  A controller and Hall effect hand throttle is another $60 or so.  With a rated speed of 3000 RPM directly coupled to the Gamefisher leg I'll get 1500 RPM at the prop (7 x 6.25" prop).  A prop calculator gives me a theoretical speed of 5.8 knots-hull speed for my canoe should be 5.5, so I'm hoping this will be the sweet spot. 

Three 35Ah SLA wheelchair batteries would give me about an hour and a half of runtime-the motor draws 36A @ 36V @ 3000 RPM under load.  I figure 30 minutes of runtime across the lake, 30 minutes of puttering around, and 30 minutes to get back.  Upgrading to the next size, 55Ah batteries would give me nearly 2.5 hours runtime, but the cost and weight go up dramatically.  The 55s are 16lbs heavier and nearly $70 more per battery.  Just looking for a real world math check as I'm pretty excited about this option.




__._,_.___

Posted by: Bill and Ai Qiu hopen <billhopen@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment