Friday, August 28, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Throttle lever potentiometer, any suggestions?

 

Hilsen fra USA Bendik,

I  have dispensed entirely with "controllers", the most expensive and breakable weak link in the drive chain.   (they blow up just when you need them the most, under extreme power shifting) I don't know what motor you have, but most permanent magnet DC motors can be reversed with a 3-position (Forward-off-Reverse) heavy duty reversing DPDT switch available for about  $12-15 USD, on ebay.   next, for speed control, make up a simple battery array, hooking your cells in series to be at maximum voltage to run your motor.  (mine is a 36v motor that i run at up to 48v)   I then run 4 leads from the ground terminal at 12v,24v,36v,48, steps.  these leads terminate at 4 copper buttons on a piece of wood or plastic 

By building a simple HD slide switch with a copper power bar pivoting between any of the 4 button terminals , I select the voltage I wish to run at.   Its simple, safe and bullet proof.  I find that very slow speeds are used very little, just for docking and manuvering, and I rarely use the highest power which is fighting to climb the hull speed limit wave......95% of my use is at the battery conserving speed, or the moderately efficient cruising speed.  I always start low V slow, and "shift" up through voltage as my sailboat gains momentum, I have a very large 18" bronze prop with high surface area, that traction would lurch the boat and strain the motor brushes and possibly arc the  reversing switch if I just threw it on at a stand still into 48v.

If I bought a HD controller, it would cost more than my motor, more than my 4 batteries, and it would be the first thing to malfunction.    Perhaps if I could find a good used controller salvaged from a golf cart I would be tempted to run 48v full time through a Mofsat array.  But I love the simplicity of this home-made variable voltage  rig.   The downside is  efficiency loss at low voltage speeds  and possible overheating in over volting speed.   I am putting in a fan air cooler and have a thermo-sensor at the motor.

Skol
 
                     Bill Hopen   -  www.billhopen.com
       Hopen Studio Inc -  227 Main St., Sutton WV 26601
          304 -765-5611                  billhopen@yahoo.com


From: "Bendik Vignes bendik.vignes@yahoo.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:33 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Throttle lever potentiometer, any suggestions?

 
Thanks for your reply Dominic!
I am not very familiar with the physics of hall effect sensors, but they
produce a voltage signal, right? My siemens inverter is controlled with a
potentiometer, and I believe I can not use a hall effekt sensor..(?)
Regards Bendik

Den tirsdag 18. august 2015 skrev Dominic Amann dominic.amann@gmail.com
[electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> følgende:

>
>
> My solution is a Hall effect sensor - a small rare-earth magnet mounted on
> the lever, and the sensor embedded in the bulkhead, so that the transit of
> the lever varies the hall-effect resistance. No rubbing parts = 0
> maintenance.
>



On Sunday, August 16, 2015 11:21 PM, Bendik Vignes <bendik.vignes@yahoo.com> wrote:


Hi!
Has anyone a suggestion for an affordable solution for a thottle lever potentiometer? I am open to diy solutions as well...
The motor inverter I will be using has speed controll with a potentiometer (0-5kohms I believe), and direction change is controlled by switching ground to forward or revers terminals on the inverter (sorry for the bad explanation). Preferably I would like throttle and direction change in one lever...
Regards




__._,_.___

Posted by: Bill and Ai Qiu hopen <billhopen@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment