Friday, August 7, 2015

[Electric Boats] How big is your prop/how slow does it turn?

 

After posting my initial question about building a displacement hull boat for lake cruising I hadn't been back on in a while and missed Bill Hopen's response where he was kind enough to offer up a slide show of his custom made outboard.  That really got me thinking-especially the fact that he's swinging an 18" prop.  I started playing with some prop calculators online to see how large and slow I could go in order to get my desired speed (6-7 knots).  For example, using the following calculator:


I was able to determine that with an 18x20 (18" diameter x 20" pitch) prop (allowing for 25% slippage) I could make 7 knots with the shaft turning at 500 RPM.  Another calculator, shown below:


Calculates for HP based on desired speed, hull dimensions, etc...  It told me I would need 5HP at the shaft to turn the 18x20 prop at 500 RPM/move a 1600lb displacement hull boat through the water at 6 knots.  Does that sound right?  It also told me I'd only need 3.5HP to travel at hull speed (about 5 knots).  It's great to work all of this stuff out on paper, but I'd love to see some real world examples of the following:
  • Prop diameter/pitch
  • Max RPM
  • Boat/payload weight
  • Hull type
  • Operating voltage
  • Max runtime
The plan is to find the optimum combination of prop size, RPM, HP, etc...and build a custom outboard much like Bills.

__._,_.___

Posted by: Matthew Hall <yotatruck91@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment