Monday, August 10, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Chevy volt battery pack in a boat

 

Interesting.  $4K for a 20kwh bank sounds appealing - but...

Where would you order one from?
What form factor does it arrive in?  And what about charging?

Can you easily take apart the bank and re-configure it for whatever parallel / serial combination you want to get whatever voltage you want?

And are we assuming there is no charger or BMS with this?  (which if there were, then you'd have to know what all the specs / wiring / etc. of that)

John


From: "nedfarinholt@comcast.net [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2015 3:01 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Chevy volt battery pack in a boat

 
I decided against the Volt because of the liquid cooling. I would be hesitant about running lake water through them. It would be better to add a heat exchanger between the lake and the coolant. Also, keep in mind that the Volts are lithium cobalt and the coolant may also by a fire extinguisher! The Leaf were much more appealing to me but in the end I went with prismatic LiFePO4, 160 Ah for my increase in capacity. If I were starting from scratch, I would definitely get a Leaf module, about $4k plus shipping for 20 kwh. I have a friend who used Leaf cells and was quite happy with them in his boat.
Ned



__._,_.___

Posted by: oak <oak_box@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment