Monday, August 17, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: New Guy building electric lake cruiser? [1 Attachment]

 
[Attachment(s) from captnlen included below]

That sounds like it would work for my project too.  Have the FG hull of a 65 Rhodes 18  with a small cuddy and plan
a similar power. would love more details



On 8/17/2015 8:28 AM, affordableacadia@gmail.com [electricboats] wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I completed a project similar to yours in 2011. I use my boat as Maine's only(?) electric lobster boat and the result has been successful and a lot of fun.
 
First as to design: it looks like the first link would be the best design. You want to lift the transom completely out of the water if possible, with enough reserve so that the weight of an outboard would not pull it down. The goal is to create an oval in the water. My 18' boat cruises at 5 mph using 30 amps at 36 volts (1080 watts or 1.44 hp). To get to 6 mph (hull speed, or nearly so) the power needs to go to 60 amps, so I don't hardly ever go this fast, but that would be about 3 hp.

As for prop/RPM, etc, forget all that stuff about big, slow turning props. It will increase your draft, weight and  reduction headaches. My prop diameter is a mere 8 inches. Review the above wattage and if that's acceptable, get a small, light weight outboard lower unit and put a pm motor on it that maxes out at 3-4 hp. I am so glad I ended up with a prop I can reach, the seaweed wraps around on a regular basis. My motor is a Mars (Motenergy) ME1007, totally enclosed. My first motor, a ME0909, was fine until the salt air caused the magnets to dislodge.

Anyway, you can email me at bruce@lamoine.org for more details. I have to go pull my traps. Bruce

--   Capt.Len Susman Rtd  Trikini Trimarans

__._,_.___

Attachment(s) from captnlen | View attachments on the web

1 of 1 Photo(s)


Posted by: captnlen <trikini2008@embarqmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

Check out the automatic photo album with 1 photo(s) from this topic.
p1.jpg


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment