Thursday, July 25, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Multiple source charge controller?

 

Matthew

While it's true there can be some quirky chargers. My experience has been with separate controllers things sort themselves out. For example my AirX wind turbine disconnects when the battery voltage reaches 56 volts and reconnects when the battery voltage drops to around 53 volts. When I use my Zivan or Dual Pro 4 AC chargers charging voltages reach up to 62 volts. My Morningstar solar controller reads this as an over voltage and it too disconnects. Leaving th AC chargers to complete the charge as they are programed to without any interference from the wind turbine or solar controller..

Capt. Mike

Sent from on board BIANKA
http://biankablog.blogspot.com

From: Matthew Geier <matthew@acfr.usyd.edu.au>
Sender: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 08:16:43 +1000
To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Multiple source charge controller?

 

On 26/07/13 06:23, James wrote:
> Thanks Mathew,
>
> I'm reading the same thing from every user/operator manual I've been able to download off the net.
>
> It seems that complex multistage chargers do get confused and malfunction in the presence of other chargers/charging sources trying to also charge the same batteries.

That would be about it. And my particular charger seems to present a
parasitic load and stay 'powered up' when disconnected from the mains
too, hence the recommendation to disconnect it entirely if another
charging source was to be used.

>
> Sensing temperatures and voltages and the use of complex algorithms/logic seem to improve charger performance and battery life but at the cost of tolerating other hardware trying to do the same thing at the same time. Would that be a reasonable and fair summation?

I think so.

>
> So... How to get the various charge sources to play nice. I still want a holistic and smart single box solution however.
Back when I was converting my boat, some one did recommend a 'all in
one' to try. It really wasn't a multisource charger as such but an
all-in-one off grid power controller.
I think it was this device
<http://www.iwiss-solar.com/solar-inverter/WIS-N48-3000W-Solar-Inverter/>
It has solar, wind and 'generator' inputs, maintains a battery bank
(48v) and has 3000W of inverter output. Apparently the inverter can be
turned off.

It's probably not a cost effective solution if you have no need of a
3kW AC inverter as well. I imagine a fair chunk of the cost will be that
high output inverter.

I didn't investigate further as my boat is trailerable and sits in my
driveway most of the time. It's charged by shore power. I have a 'grid
tie' solar on the roof of my house. While solar generated electrons are
not actually charging my boat, I generate far more solar electricity in
a season than my boat uses.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (17)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment