Wednesday, July 24, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: Multiple source charge controller?

 

I must admit, I'm also looking for a similar solution.

To my way of thinking, with an assortment of regulators/controllers installed nothing but an unruly form of sibling rivalry would ensue.

Would I be right to guess that each device would be trying to carry out it's own multi-step charge programme based on the sensed voltages from the batteries or most probably from the charge step or charge current of one or more of the other devices?

I have noted a couple of communist Chinese charge regulators that integrate both solar and wind turbine, but none of them include an elegant dump load function, just a brake for the turbine... Not the most efficient use of available energy. It would be nice to use such surplus energy to heat the cabin or heat some water.

I've purchased a number of books, none of which are updated or discuss in great detail the latest in solar and wind charge methods and strategies.

It seems before the advent of multistage charging methods, one could connect just about any source of charge/power to a boat and they would happily co-exist and more-or-less charge a battery bank into a short life.

Like Nick, I was hoping for a charge controller that could accepted a variety of AC or DC inputs to charge and manage a battery bank.

Searching, none the less, I don't think such a device exists.

I'd be fascinated to know others thoughts and opinions.

James.


--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Pemberton <pembertonkevin@...> wrote:
>
> I don't think you will find one controller for all devices. What you need
> is a controller for each source. They will work together so no problem.
>
> Kevin
> On Jul 24, 2013 6:06 PM, "qgold77" <qgold.77@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Hello - an old lurker here, but have a quest I'm sure a wise person in
> > this group can help with. I'm looking for device that will take inputs from
> > multiple power sources such as wind/water/solar/shore power/on board
> > generator etc and control the the charging of a couple of battery banks.
> > Can anyone give me a lead?
> >
> > Thanks - Nick
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment