Thursday, July 25, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: Multiple source charge controller?

 

An interesting link, thank you.

I loath posting links to ads, sales and auctions. However...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1000W-12V-Solar-Wind-Hybrid-Charge-Controller-for-Air-X-/360356221392

This device seems too good to be true. Has anyone purchased such a devise or something similar? Do you have any thoughts or comments?

Superficially, it is as near to what I desire as I have yet found. AC and DC turbine inputs as well as solar input, a poorly described regulator/charger function with a dump load feature... etc, etc, all written in chingelish. Am I missing something?

James.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Geier <matthew@...> wrote:
>
> On 26/07/13 06:23, James wrote:
> > Thanks Mathew,
> >
> > I'm reading the same thing from every user/operator manual I've been able to download off the net.
> >
> > It seems that complex multistage chargers do get confused and malfunction in the presence of other chargers/charging sources trying to also charge the same batteries.
>
> That would be about it. And my particular charger seems to present a
> parasitic load and stay 'powered up' when disconnected from the mains
> too, hence the recommendation to disconnect it entirely if another
> charging source was to be used.
>
> >
> > Sensing temperatures and voltages and the use of complex algorithms/logic seem to improve charger performance and battery life but at the cost of tolerating other hardware trying to do the same thing at the same time. Would that be a reasonable and fair summation?
>
> I think so.
>
> >
> > So... How to get the various charge sources to play nice. I still want a holistic and smart single box solution however.
> Back when I was converting my boat, some one did recommend a 'all in
> one' to try. It really wasn't a multisource charger as such but an
> all-in-one off grid power controller.
> I think it was this device
> <http://www.iwiss-solar.com/solar-inverter/WIS-N48-3000W-Solar-Inverter/>
> It has solar, wind and 'generator' inputs, maintains a battery bank
> (48v) and has 3000W of inverter output. Apparently the inverter can be
> turned off.
>
> It's probably not a cost effective solution if you have no need of a
> 3kW AC inverter as well. I imagine a fair chunk of the cost will be that
> high output inverter.
>
> I didn't investigate further as my boat is trailerable and sits in my
> driveway most of the time. It's charged by shore power. I have a 'grid
> tie' solar on the roof of my house. While solar generated electrons are
> not actually charging my boat, I generate far more solar electricity in
> a season than my boat uses.
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment