Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] results with four year old Lithiums

 

Chris,

I found your website by plugging "current sunshine" into google. You and I think quite alike. My next boat is going to be a tri for all the same reasons you are sailing a tri. I am a graduate of the California Maritime Academy with a BS in Marine Transportation and a USCG Unlimited Tonnage license. I did my thesis on minimum wetted surface vessels i.e., fast ferries. After sailing the world by other's time frames and directions, I have retired and looking forward to returning to cruising of my choice, not that of the shipping company's.

I'm back to your website to soak it all in.

Bob

--- On Tue, 6/12/12, chris Baker <chris@currentsunshine.com> wrote:

From: chris Baker <chris@currentsunshine.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] results with four year old Lithiums
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 3:23 PM



Hi Bob

You use of an 48v inverter is a great idea.  For a boat with a high AC electrical load it makes much more sense than running an AC generator all day long to supply what can often be very small loads.  By using a 48v genset to power house loads from a lithium battery it means you run your genset only for a small part of the day under full load, which is good for the diesel engine and much more economical.

And because you have almost zero losses in charge and discharge of lithium batteries, compared to 10 to 30% with lead acid, you run your genset 10 to 30% less.  And in fact the gains are actually even more because the lead-acid battery charge rate tapers off as the charge level rises you add time and inefficency to the re-charge as you fill the batteries.

Cheers

Chris

On 13/06/2012, at 8:05 AM, Robert Lemke wrote:

 

Chris,

  Thanks, not only helpful but the same path I'll be taking. Mine will be for a sailboat that will be a diesel-electric hybrid. I also will be running a 48 volt pack for both propulsion and inverter for an all electric galley. I prefer 48 VDC input inverters when powering big loads as it cuts amp draw from the battery bank to 1/4 that of the common 12 VDC input inverter. 

Thanks for the good write up, keep us posted.

I have a collection of links and articles here

Feel free to use and add to it.

Bob

--- On Tue, 6/12/12, chris b <chris@currentsunshine.com> wrote:




__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment