Monday, June 11, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Backups

 

On 12/06/12 03:32, amracel wrote:
> The batteries are set up in series; it's a 48V motor.
>
> We put the throttle on full and the motor kept going for about 1/2 an hour. After that, it just stopped. So I'm sure the batteries were down to zilch. Unfortunately, we still had a little ways to go.
>
> What about buying one more AGM, moving it in and out of the series to keep it charging/discharging, then just hooking it in in cases of emergency?
>
> To also add to the equation, I got a charger that can't be connected when the engine is running (info based on wisdom gathered from this group). So, even if I'd had a generator along to recharge the batteries, we'd either be anchoring for a bit or hoping the wind was blowing at that point to keep us moving.
>

I carry a little Honda generator for that situation. My charger is
also rated to cope with that sort of 'abuse' (batteries under load while
the charger is trying to charge them). The charger only puts out half
the current required to run the motor at full speed, but running at half
power gives me more than 3/4 of top speed anyway.

Other than testing the concept (I ran for about an hour one day
balancing the motor current against the output of the charger with the
Honda fuming away on deck) - I've never needed to use the Honda in
'series hybrid' mode to get home. But I test and pack the Honda each
outing anyway. My boat is a launch not a sail boat - so if my electrics
fail, it's try to row the thing back or call for a tow. :-)

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment