Monday, June 11, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Backups

 

starting batteries hate deep discharge.
Really shortens their life.
 
Love is so short, forgetting is so long.


From: amracel <amracel@stuffandjunk.net>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2012 6:41 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Backups

 
Good morning!

Well, I had my first 'oops!' yesterday. We ran the batteries out about a 1/4 mile from our slip. Luckily, the current and wind were behind us, so we could sail in at a brisk 1 knot. But I was wondering, as we did this whether or not I could have jumped the house batteries into the system to give us that extra boost to make it the rest of the way.

My engine has 4-150AH Lifeline AGMs. My house has one quick start and one deep cycle battery (leftovers - might as well use them for the house!).

Would I cause damage to the batteries, the house system, or my engine by connecting the two? If so, is there another alternative (one 'spare' agm?). If not, would the best way be to just have some battery cables nearby?

Anne Racel
4 Degrees



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment