Tuesday, March 27, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: Regen (again)

 

Hi Tim,

I know that you may have heard this from me before, but at 6kts, nobody is generating more than 100W from any type of hydro-generator (inboard in regen mode, towed generator, hi-tech drive leg generator, etc.), at least not that I have seen. Some systems are less effective, but even specialized props, impellors, or whatever, can't seem to get past this level of generation. The members of this group that have reported any sort of significant regen have boats that can sail at sustained speeds greater than 7kts and 8 kts is where real regen kicks in.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

PS. I still believe that most electric drive vendors claims of regen are misleading at best. Large multihulls and monos longer than 45' are the exception.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <haywardt@...> wrote:
>
> very nice. I will be following your blog.
>
> Have you used an autoprop before?
>
> Do you have a regen capable controller? I would be really interested to know how the autoprop does in regeneration mode. I think it might perform really well.
>
> I have a ton of questions from hull design and construction to your route. I will lurk on your blog a little while and see what develops.
>
> I recommend an eyefi card for producing your blog.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment