Wednesday, March 21, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: ABYC high voltage specs

 

Hi Kevin,

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The ABYC recommendations for low and high voltage include only items that I consider common sense. While you or I may be "smart enough" to be safe, I would not classify every boater that way, considering what I've seen with various ICE installations. And the safety recommendations are pretty clear for those systems too.

I believe that safety recommendations encourage common sense, they certainly don't slow down the adoption of safe practices.

If you think that DC power isn't dangerous until you get beyond 300VDC, then I'll stand way over here while you work on your systems. I've seen scary things happen with EV systems ranging from 72VDC through 192VDC (I haven't seen a 48V car since the '80s), and cars have the advantage of being dry most of the time.

I'm guessing that you use seatbelts and you haven't disabled your airbags in your car, two more safety regulations that were strongly opposed by the "live free or die" contingent. But in reality, these are common sense. And I believe that if these safety features were not mandated, they would remain elitist features that would only be available to those with the extra money to afford premium models that would include this type of exotic safety option.

Think about what would happen to the developing electric boat industry if people were left to their own opinions about what was appropriate in an electric drive installation. One yahoo electrocutes himself and his kids with badly engineered wiring and the entire industry would get set back a decade. The common boater would consistantly reference electric drives as "baby killers" and all the facts to the contrary would be ignored.

So even though there is no safety legislation that makes bad electric installations illegal, I ask that everyone here try to comply with ABYC's low and high voltage recommendations so that we don't get lumped in with people that might put together an unsafe drive system.

Fair winds,
Eric

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Shepherd <shepherdkevinj@...> wrote:
>
> Change the regs. Again rules impeade common sence. 300vdc. 1000vac. We are
> smaet enough to be safe. Physics rules not insurance companies
>
> Kevin Shepherd
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment