Thursday, February 16, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: Propane outboard engine

 

Propan versus gasoline is indeed very interesting and i am learning.
In my quest for EP ballance i seem to have advertedly choose the
gasoline engine in my personal plan.

In order to have some equations to work from i set out to find
electric propulsion that could handle head on winds and nasty waves
and at the same time be economical in
flat seas. I do realise that no leissure boat can carry the battery
bank required for a all out EP free from gasoline to generate such
power. I investigated back charge with
all sorts of configurations but just could not make it work. I want 2
X 3Kw electric motors with a 10Kw genset and 4Kw charge back from the
props thinking that 4Kw carging
should take care of battery recharge. But the fuel and weight and
consumpsion running a 10Kw Gennie was astronomical and then it dawned
on me ....... why dont i use 2 X 2Kw enhe bateries
electric motors which i feed with a 5Kw Genset so the electrical
motors will run off the genset and not the bateries and at a fuel
consumption of 1.9L per hour i will have more
than enough power to handle any headon situation with a two motor
propulsion at 1.9L per hour. When i hit flat seas i run only one motor
and it is calculated against my fuel capcity
that i have a range of over 900 sea miles at 1 400 rpm and 3knots per hour.

There is one downside to this plan and that is the single 5Kw Genset
and i quickly realised that if i fittted a second 5Kw Genset i have a
backup and i can generate more than enough domestic power
for all my needs.

I do not suggest this is the ultemate but for my needs it seems workable.

Popeye.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment