Saturday, February 25, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: Newbie Question- Converting a 45' catamaran

 

Andrew:

The onboard HVAC needs to be 3-4 tons. I estimated 4 tons, but have had others suggest a smaller, 3 ton system.

James: The Aquawatt is propped and geared for planing boats. This is a displacement craft, so it's of no use. You need a good, low gear ratio and large diameter prop to use an outboard on a displacement boat. Also, I hate to make waves on both points, but I was looking into a diesel/electric system. There is still an ICE to maintain (or two) that generate all the power to drive the boat. No escaping the maintenance. More maintenance than straight ICE, in fact since it's ICE + all the electric components.

Jerry: Not a bad idea. I've talked to the guy at Beta about putting a big AC generator on one of the Betas and he was open to it. Pricing was a little high, but he was very flexible and wanted to work with me. I wonder if they have a larger unit? One priority is to have the props leave the water when sailing (no junk below the waterline), so the Beta would involve a lot of extra engineering. I'm not sure about that, but I would prefer to run on diesel if possible. Just have better luck with all my diesels than all my outboards.. :)

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment