Tuesday, February 28, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: motoring with ,quickcharge 48/V 25 amp,6V agms,and a honda 2000

 

Hi mike the next time I run a test run I am going to run at a 28 amp
draw and see what my boat speed is.with the charger putting back 22 amps
I should have verey little draw on the batterries? will see. in any case
I am only wanting these specs so if I have to run the ditch to get home
I will know what I have to work with.If I am crossing the gulf its no
big deal. tac alot or if no wind sit and read a good book,or as I would
say back to being a sail boat again cheers. bill
--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Gunning" <mike@...> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I have had this same system for over a year, 8 6v 300AH AGM Lifeline
Batteries with the SCO4825 charger. The charger is built for the
material handling equipment rather than the marine environment.
>
> When running the generator while running the boat I have to initially
reduce the motor power draw until the generator catches up to the
charger. Once the Honda 2000 comes up to speed, I can again begin to
draw power out of the batteries to push the boat. If the charger is
putting out only 22amps, I have no knowledge other than that the charger
operates with the Honda which is rated at 1600 watts continuous.
>
> It takes a long time to recharge 300AH AGM battery pack that was taken
down below 50%. The charger will run through its cycle and if it does
not complete its charge in 8 hours, it will need to be restarted.
>
> The programmable charger is very heavy duty. The readout that is shown
on the charger do not respond to the status of the charge of the
batteries but rather the status of the charging cycle.
>
> Mike Electric Yachts of Southern California
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Falk" fsailing35@ wrote:
> >
> > Hi eric thanks for the info I am running this set up already on my
> > boat.I did a test run a few weeks ago. I ran an average of 3.75 knt
for
> > 5.5 hrs at a 32 amp draw on my electic yacht meter, close as I can
> > figure from that run I should be able to go appx 10.5 hrs and that
will
> > bring my 200 amp hr bank down to around 50% I am ok with that for
what I
> > do. thanks again for the in put bill.
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll assume that you're talking about a Quickcharge SCO4825 Select
a
> > charge on-board charger. On their website they provide the following
> > specs, 48V, 25A, 12A@117VAC. If all this is true, then I don't see a
> > problem. But I don't believe these numbers.
> > >
> > > Lets look at the energy input, 12A x 117V = 1404W. That's easy
enough.
> > >
> > > You know that your 6V batteries don't charge at 6V, the peak
charge
> > voltage for your AGM batteries is 7.2-7.3V. So your peak pack
charging
> > voltage for 8 batteries in series is 57.6V. Let's call it 54V for
the
> > bulk of your charging. 25A @ 54V = 1350W. The Quickcharge website
> > doesn't mention the technology that they use, but at the bottom of
their
> > promotional PDF, they mention "100% copper transformer heavy duty
> > rectifiers..." These types of chargers have traditionally operated
at
> > 80-85% efficiency. So being generous, 1350W output will take only
1600W
> > input (assuming 85% efficiency). 1600W/117V = 13.7A. Not a big deal
you
> > say, it's only a difference of 1.7A, but let's read on.
> > >
> > > Now let's look at your generator. A Honda eu2000i is rated for
1600W
> > continuous output, so now you're right on the line. If your charger
only
> > pulls 13.7A while charging, you're good. But it might pull more. If
it
> > does, your Honda will shut itself down when the load getts too high.
My
> > Yamaha 2000 will do the same.
> > >
> > > Maybe the SCO4825 only puts out 1200W (48Vx25A), if so, then the
> > output at 54V will be around 22A. If that is the case, then the
Honda
> > should handle it fairly well, but you won't be getting 25A.
> > >
> > > If you have access to one of these chargers, then the simple way
to
> > check it's power requiremetns is to run it through a Kill-A-Watt
meter
> > while charging your batteries. I have a P3 model, they are available
at
> > Radio Shack for less than $30. If you don't have access to the
charger,
> > you have to take the manufacturer's word, but their published specs
are
> > suspicious to me. At almost $500, that could be an expensive
experiment.
> > Of course, if you buy it somewhere with a good return policy, your
risk
> > is lower.
> > >
> > > I went through the same debate and I chose an Elcon PFC2000+
charger
> > for around $600. The manufacturer specs were more believable and
they
> > were able to load a charging profile that was perfect for my LiFePO4
> > battery pack, AGMs are even simpler. My measured thoughput effieincy
is
> > close to 93% with the fully electronic (no transformer) PFC charger.
> > Elcon's spec of 14A@115V nominal input turned out to be right on (as
> > measured with a Kill-A-Watt monitor)during the bulk charge phase for
my
> > batteries. This 14A exceeds my Yamaha generator's continuous rating
of
> > 13.7A, but I've run the charger for an hour from the generator and
it
> > hasn't missed a beat, I would expect the same from a Honda. I've
also
> > verified that I'm getting a consistant 27-28A at 55V from the
> > charger/generator combo. This powers my 30' 10,200 lb boat at
4.2-4.3kts
> > without using any battery at all.
> > >
> > > Most of the other peoplpe in this group that have electro-motored
on
> > their portable generator (Myles, Mike, etc.) are running chargers
with
> > lower input/output so their generators are not as close to the
limits.
> > So your proposed setup might work, and it might not.
> > >
> > > After all of this work, I've never had to use my generator to get
> > home. I motored the boat for an hour on the generator as a proof of
> > concept, and it worked fine, but I've never needed it in real life.
> > >
> > > Perhaps someone else in the group has more hands on experience
with
> > the specific charger that you're looking for. If so, hopefully,
they'll
> > jump in.
> > >
> > > Fair winds,
> > > Eric
> > > 1964 Bermuda 30 ketch, 5.5kW Propulsion Marine drive, 8kWh Lithium
> > batteries
> > > Marina del Rey, CA
> > >
> > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Falk" fsailing35@
wrote:
> > > >
> > > > anyone using this set up? if so how is it working for you and
what
> > charge settings are you using? any info thanks
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment