Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Battery options

 

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 05:27:30PM -0000, luv2bsailin wrote:
> I usually like this kind of "old school" solution, especially where it can simplify things. Not sure about this one though. It sounds like it would add quite a bit of complexity instead. You'd need a lot of wiring to the batteries (and don't forget to fuse all the legs) plus some electronics to sequence the relay.

Hmmm... fusing all the legs seems excessive, although I can see a point
to doing so. As to the sequencing electronics, nah. :) The relays that
I'm talking about use a clock motor and a flat coil spring, and you set
the timing by pushing in the appropriate pin; kinda like the old "away
from home" timers for lights, except that it's a single pin.

I like old surplus electrics/electronics; they're made to withstand
serious abuse (bombs, bullets, etc.) and the quality is top-notch
(should be - we've paid enough for'em...) All that stuff that was made
in the 60s and 70s is bulky and ugly - but if it works, it'll keep
working till Doomsday, and maybe even a bit after.

> Seems to me that one of the simplest setups would be to have a converter/charger that takes 48V from the propulsion bank and charges a 12V house battery. I didn't go back and read the older posts but I think that's what Eric was talking about. Modern power conversion electronics are pretty damn reliable, and you can always carry a set of jumper cables for emergencies.

Well, as I'd said - it was just an idea. Given the tiny (well under 10A,
usually) typical house loads that I have, the solution doesn't have to
be anything fancy.

(Just got my Meanwell 1kW charger via UPS; can't wait to try it out!)

> Lot's of ways to skin a cat though. That's just my $.02 for the moment.

Thanks, Jim! Enough small contributions like that, and I'll be rich... :)

--
Ben Okopnik
-=-=-=-=-=-

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment