Thursday, August 25, 2011

[Electric Boats] New Ideas ?

 

Hi everyone,
Just tried to search for John Green's post on "making lead acid batteries", his statement "so others would work on it, not me!".
John, I hope my post about making a new style of battery was not a "claim jump" of your's.
In the search I did find a comment of interest, where John dunked his electric motor in salt water (and the results) when he was a kid.

Now for something someone might find of interest.

I guess I'm still a kid at heart (fast approaching 70)and just last week I dunked a small brush motor in a pint of my wife's favorite cooking oil, just to see, what increase in drag or loss of electrical contact, might take place. At 20v DC, I checked amp draw operating in air, the results 0.3, then in oil, still 0.3 and after almost one hour, the oil started to show a slight grey from carbon brush wear and about every 80 or 90 seconds the amp meter would move to 0.4, then back to 0.3, The next night I let it run for almost 3 hours.
One unexpected result was the complete loss of sound, now this is a very small and cheap motor, so on to the next step, a gallon or two of clear hydraulic oil, a filter of some type and one of my cheap 2hp treadmill motors.
If I don't get called out on some work assignment, I will try to find time between the honey-do projects and give some results.

This line of thought comes from the 60's submersibles using oil filled motor pods (likely not brushed motors) and someone on the net showing a computer tower completely filled with mineral oil.

What I think will be important,
A. Increased power through a motor
B. Better control of heat
C. Contained heat put to other use
D. Complete lubrication of all moving parts
E. Changing carbon brush to Oil-ite bronze material for almost life long operation, possible because of lubrication
F. All electronics clear coated with some type sealer and submerged in cool liquid.
G. Elimination of all saltwater worries
F. Oil can be refrigerated for even more power through the system
H. Sound reduction of everything that can be enclosed in oil, including shaft reduction unit
I. This cool oil circulation system can even include capture of heat loss to and from battery system, (proper seal is not impossible)

The list could go on, but then I start to sound like a crackpot, as evidenced by not one reply of any nature, to my post for a lead acid battery design.
Like John Green, I'm a thinker more than a do'er. Focus almost a complete loss, low usable cash flow, life is flying past at an alarming rate.
I thought selling "free ideas" might be easy with the internet, but it just might be the hardest sells job on the planet :))

John, can you give me the post number for what you said about making lead acid batteries.

Thanks
Ron


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment