Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: 55' wooden hull in SFBay

 

Thanks Mark,
You've done some homework....   My choice (since I have one sitting in my garage) is the Yanmar 3GMD.   I have to do more checking on the transmission but believe it will work much the same.    I have a 22,000 lb Island Trader that has a Volvo in it right now, still runs but if I go electric hybrid with a nice battery bank I can cut my fuel load and split the tanks to either side of the boat, I'll do the same with the battery banks..   I picked up a conversion that was removed from a boat a while back from one of the EB members, looks quite good for my conversion with much of the mounting bracketing already made.   I'm working on the decks at the moment and when they are completed I'll sail for a month or two before starting the next round of changes...    I'd like to be out of Florida before next hurricane season and into Central America somewhere??   The seanch in the boat when it's hot outside about gags me so the things need to be cleaned out anyway...   and who knows, I may just go straight electric, which in my opinion I would like to do anyway...    Thanks for the information.. 
Dave K


From: Mark n Angela <mstafford@natca.net>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:29 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: 55' wooden hull in SFBay

Dave,

I'll most likely use Eagle NRG Helical Offset Tooth (White - 32mm wide, 8 degree H.O.T. pitch) belt drive, with about a 4:1 motor:prop ratio, no additional clutching.  Diesel's transmission in neutral will allow pure electric.  In other words, if prop is turning, e-motor will be turning.

It's a modern ZF transmission with thin ATF lube, but there will still be up to maybe 10% parasitic drag loss.  And when straight diesel motoring, electric motor will no-load spin, robbing maybe 4% engine:trans:prop efficiency.

In Western terms: everything's a compromise.  Or to put it more Zen-like: life is a balancing act.

Mark Stafford


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment