Wednesday, August 3, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: SAILOR GOING ELECT.

 

Hi Jim,
I've always liked the Rescue Minor and thought it would make a nice electric boat build. If you do it right and keep it really light I don't see why you can't reach just-planing speeds in the 10-12mph range. Of course speed and range are inversely proportional so you need to really know how you plan on using the boat and choose components that support your expectations. What ever you do it's going to cost some money!

An inboard PMDC motor with a 2:1 reduction paired with Lithium batteries might be a good choice for the drivetrain. 200ah Lifepo4 cells are 16lbs each, you would need 15 of them for 48 volts nominal and they would weight 240lbs. This choice would preserve the aesthetics and construction of the original design. I suppose if you get the prop/motor combo right you might be able to get away with direct drive.

Or, if you want to try something else how about modifying the boat and making room for an outboard well right behind the keel and use a short shaft Torqeedo 4.0 with a high-pitch prop and 2 (or 4) of their Lithium-manganese POWER batteries. I doubt you could tell from the dock that it had an outboard since it would be sitting pretty low and not on the transom. I'd be worried about drag from the well, but with the prop tunnel bottom it might not be a problem.
Todd
www.epowermarine.com in South Florida

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "JAMES" <bboc3579@...> wrote:
>
> Hello All ,
> This is my first post . I am starting a new boat and want to go elect.
> the boat is a Rescue Minor by Atkin .
> I like to do things myself and have "no" knowledge on elect. boats .
> I am looking for a group that can stear me in the right direction so I don't have to make same mistakes you have alredy experienced .
> Please feel free to make recommendations keeping in mind the boat is about 600 lbs. and best equipment for the buck .
> Best regards ,
> Jim Cobb North Augusta SC. bboc3579@...
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment