Wednesday, August 3, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Battery options

 

Hi Ben,
I agree with you about surplus military/aerospace equipment.
Your comment "...it'll keep working till doomsday..." is especially appropriate as much of is was part of our cold war nuclear arms race and was designed with exactly that in mind!
Being in the aviation field I've worked with a lot of that kind of stuff over the years and often marvel at the engineering that went into it. Seems a shame NOT to use it after all the money and effort expended!
Regards,
Jim

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Ben Okopnik <ben@...> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 05:27:30PM -0000, luv2bsailin wrote:
> > I usually like this kind of "old school" solution, especially where it can simplify things. Not sure about this one though. It sounds like it would add quite a bit of complexity instead. You'd need a lot of wiring to the batteries (and don't forget to fuse all the legs) plus some electronics to sequence the relay.
>
> Hmmm... fusing all the legs seems excessive, although I can see a point
> to doing so. As to the sequencing electronics, nah. :) The relays that
> I'm talking about use a clock motor and a flat coil spring, and you set
> the timing by pushing in the appropriate pin; kinda like the old "away
> from home" timers for lights, except that it's a single pin.
>
> I like old surplus electrics/electronics; they're made to withstand
> serious abuse (bombs, bullets, etc.) and the quality is top-notch
> (should be - we've paid enough for'em...) All that stuff that was made
> in the 60s and 70s is bulky and ugly - but if it works, it'll keep
> working till Doomsday, and maybe even a bit after.
>
> > Seems to me that one of the simplest setups would be to have a converter/charger that takes 48V from the propulsion bank and charges a 12V house battery. I didn't go back and read the older posts but I think that's what Eric was talking about. Modern power conversion electronics are pretty damn reliable, and you can always carry a set of jumper cables for emergencies.
>
> Well, as I'd said - it was just an idea. Given the tiny (well under 10A,
> usually) typical house loads that I have, the solution doesn't have to
> be anything fancy.
>
> (Just got my Meanwell 1kW charger via UPS; can't wait to try it out!)
>
> > Lot's of ways to skin a cat though. That's just my $.02 for the moment.
>
> Thanks, Jim! Enough small contributions like that, and I'll be rich... :)
>
>
> --
> Ben Okopnik
> -=-=-=-=-=-
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment