Saturday, March 9, 2024

Re: [electricboats] Throttle control head

Okay, I'm just going to keep spinning off my original thread with another tangential question...hope that's okay.  This question is regarding the motor "size" to go with...really just the voltage.  My boat is a 48' cat at about 15 tons fully loaded.  When I consulted Thunderstruck, not having gotten to calculating exact hull speed numbers or anything yet, they were suggesting x2 of the 24kw kits at 96v.  That seems like serious overkill to me - after all this isn't a motor yacht, it's still a sailboat.  From info on this forum and a few other sources, my gut tells me that the 12kw kit (x2) running at 48v would do the trick.  Their description even suggests that this kit is used for boats up to 15 tons - mine is twice that (probably not quite actually), two pretty efficient hulls, and of course I would be using 2 motors, so it seems logical that the 12kw would work. I also have no interest or need to achieve my "hull speed" which is probably over 9 knots.  If we get 6-7 knots full out and 3-5 knots at a more efficient power band, that's perfect. 

The middle option would be sizing up to 72v (all kits run the same Me1616 motor, kit price is the same) for 18kw per side.  A 72v pack seems fairly manageable, though maybe not as easily as 48v.  For the same money it would have to be less amp hours than a 48v pack.

So my question is - assuming the 12kw 48v motors are strong enough and the 18kw 72v motors aren't strictly necessary, is there still some benefit to going that route, but with less amp hours, money definitely being an object?  

Thanks...I'm probably overthinking it.  But I've definitely gotten into more trouble in my life underthinking things.  Lol.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#32592) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment