Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Re: [electricboats] Throttle control head

I have the Curtis throttle and connected it by Morse-type cable to the original diesel gear shift lever on the steering pedestal.  Single cable.  Original shifting configuration was FWD-Neutral-REV.   The Curtis is basically the same FWD-OFF-REV.  There is a detent for OFF and I can feel that in the lever at the pedestal but it is not very pronounced and can be a bit difficult to find in some conditions.  I plan to fabricate something that makes the feel of the detent bigger but for now it functions and I have other more pressing issues.  I think ideally I would like something that locks in to the OFF position with a release that I have to engage to move the lever from OFF to either direction.  Something like what you have on the auto transmission shifter in a car.

I used the original gear shift lever because it says FWD and REV on it witch matches the function of the Curtis unit better than the Slow/Fast of the original throttle lever.  I had to adapt to that function being on the other side of the pedestal.  But that was made easier by removing the other lever. 

Some photos here:
http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/electric_drive_control_wiring.htm


Dan Pfeiffer



On 2024-03-05 9:15 am, Eric via groups.io wrote:

Hey all,

As mentioned in my earlier post, we're converting our 30-year old 48' cat to electric using a Thunderstruck kit (s)...long way to go, still in the planning phase.  I have a question regarding throttle/shift control at the helm. What are folks using to do this?  The Thunderstruck kit comes with the option of a Curtis ET-134 directional throttle if you choose to use your current control station that was used with the diesels.  Having not hooked one of these up, I'm just curious how that works?  Does it accept the 2 cables in the exact same way?  Obviously there's no gearbox, but the motor does need to get the signal to spin either forward or in reverse and how fast.

Again, not seeing the ET-134 in front of me AND never have dug into a throttle control body yet to see how it hooks up, I'm just curious how that works.  I'm probably overthinking it.  Or have you used other forms of control at the helm to better effect?  Keeping in mind also that mine needs to be a dual station since there will (eventually) be two electric motors.  I of course just want the smoothest control possible from the helm to the motors with as little garbage in the middle mucking things up.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment