Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Re: [electricboats] Trolling Motor Propellers

I retrofitted a pontoon boat with dual 80 pound thrust 24 volt trolling motors. 

I fixed the starboard motor straight with the shaft thumb clamp, and steered with the port motor (shaft thumb clamped loosened) with an extension paint pole (Push-Pull) tiller tied into a triangular steering bracket.
https://www.4primal.com/shopprimal/v-force-steering-bracket

Worked great at the speeds we were traveling with the boat  (Less than 5 mph)
If I needed to, I could "unclamp" the fixed motor and steer with it as well, but it wasn't necessary.
In tight spaces where precision maneuvering was needed, I just shut down the fixed starboard motor.

On another boat, I attached a large vegetable cutting board to my outboard riveted to ss straps wrapped around the lower unit above the cavitation plate to help with steering. 

Worked OK, again, never plaining out, just scooting along at displacement speeds or slower.
Not recommending this particular product, but just to illustrate the type of material used.







On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 2:53 PM Glenn Holland <gholland1@nc.rr.com> wrote:
wdr99,  I built the skegs as drawn except I made them solid.  I have more directional stability than needed.  I wanted to be able to let the weight of the boat rest on the skegs.  That idea of independent turning axes for the motors is interesting.  I think it's that kind of flexability that allows new twin OB to "sidestep".  Try it.  Mine are linked for steering but are indipendent throttled.  I usually steer with the throttles.
Glenn

-----------------------------------------

From: "wdr99 via groups.io"
To: electricboats@groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Wednesday October 21 2020 1:09:49PM
Subject: Re: [electricboats] Trolling Motor Propellers

I like your trap door Honda.  That's clever.

I'm considering mounting the trolling motors on a rudder.  I'm curious if the additional directional imperative of a rudder would help out at all.  I'm also curious if there'd be any value to having both motors on a single axis.  Who knows, there might be a name for this, I'm not an engineer.

Glenn, what kind of keel or skeg did you install on your redwing?  I installed a roughly 3 inch tall keel the length of the hull and I skipped the aft skegs.  It turns nicely with the outboard, maybe a bit slow to respond, but I don't have alot to compare it to.

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#30845) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment