Monday, October 26, 2020

Re: [electricboats] Quest for 2X Hull Speed

Ditto on retrofitting an old Johnson with a BLDC...! Details here:


Ryan is right - it's not a simple retrofit. And the propeller is all wrong for an electric motor. But I wasn't going for fast, just quiet.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 4:28 PM Ryan G via groups.io <ryanwestbrookcary1=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I retrofitted an old Johnson 9.9hp with one of these:

Far less expensive than any of golden motor's offerings, although it did require some thought and skill to marry the two into a workable platform. 

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 10:30 AM, cpcanoesailor via groups.io
<cpcanoesailor=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
Interesting project. Thanks for sharing.

I use a Haswing Protruar 1.0 motor with an APC 11x6 tractor prop. I figured out that I could mount the control head backwards, so the prop is facing forwards. I added a spinner in front of the prop to minimize drag. The only noticeable drag now is from the vertical shaft. I typically run the motor at about 50% power, about 300W, giving 3-4 knots boat speed (multihull, some drag). I only notice cavitation if the water gets quite choppy.

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#30832) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment