Sunday, October 25, 2020

[electricboats] Quest for 2X Hull Speed

I completed my semi-planing hull build, launched it properly a couple of months ago, and measured the performance.  With two adults and standard gear (179 pound hull, 592 pounds total displacement), the boat averaged 10 knots with a 1990 Evinrude 3hp (2,238 watts) outboard.  Now, I am starting to focus my attention on the electric conversion.  The original concept was to maximize the boat speed with a Tesla Model S battery (5.2 kwh at 55 pounds) and a TBD electric outboard with a large diameter slow turning propeller for a four-hour runtime (includes 1 hour of reserve).  Until battery energy densities improve, I am planning to run the motor in the 1,000 to 1,500 watt range (I know not 2X hull speed, but definitely exceeding 1X).  Maybe I can achieve a 20% loss at the propeller shaft with a BLDC motor and gain back 40% on the propeller?  I have since found overall better LIFEP04 cells at Battery Hookup (cheaper, safer, higher DoD, more cycles), except for a small weight penalty.  On the motor side, I continue to experiment with my Newport Vessels NV86 and more recently with a 2.5hp outboard conversion.  The purpose of this thread is to capture the current results and to move closer to the objective.  A video of the boat can be seen here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlVtI0wISZA&t=63s


_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#30826) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment