Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Re: [electricboats] Trolling Motor Propellers

Bill,  I don't know if you have seen a photo of my Redwing?  I have twin electric OBs hung off the transom, Motor Guide 80lb.@ so 160 total.  They are enough power for hull speed, about 4.5 mph.  I have Torqeedo props.  My challenge is manuvering.  With RH props, I have trouble with left hand turns.  I am fabing up a LH prop to match the RH Torqeedo.  That will solve the problem.  My one recommendation is to pay as much attention to your prop as the motor.  If you put one motor in the well of the Redwing, I would get a 36V. as big as possible.  I bought mine off Ebay and saved quite a bit of $$ for pratically new motors.  Make sure you get didgital/Varible/PWM.  That makes a LOT of difference in range.  I have been in up to about 10-12 kt. winds with OK handeling.  Please ask anything.  I'm not an EE but I've done  few things.
thanks,
Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: [electricboats] Trolling Motor Propellers

Hi Glenn,

I hope this note finds you well.  I have a Redwing 18 also and am interested in repowering with electric.  I'm interested in your experiences as I expect I'm going to approach this incrementally.  


I've been happy with the trolling motors I've used as kickers for small sailboats and so I expect to start there withe the Redwing.  I'd love an Elco or a Torqeedo but I'm concerned with the expense and either lack of reviews or mixed reviews as the case may be for such an expense.

Did you have experience with a single 80lb motor?  Also, did you have experiences with wind and waves?  


Thanks for any info you can provide.  


Bill in Duluth

No comments:

Post a Comment