Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Re: [electricboats] What spares do you keep on hand?

Hi, Ryan

Could you tell us about your boat type and size, and the whole setup of the engine system, please ?
I think we can learn a lot from you :-)

Best regards,
Carsten


On Tuesday, 25 August 2020, 14:53:00 GMT+8, Ryan Sweet <ryan@ryansweet.org> wrote:


I'll add to the list:
- extra voltmeter/ampmeter 
- multimeter 
- electrical tape
- heat shrink
- ring terminals
- zip ties
- spare wiring long enough to reach each end of the boat

Printed Manuals for any digital equipment:
- motor controller
- charger/charge controller 
- inverter

Spare battery LED Lights for working in tight spaces with no power. 
Spare batteries for lights, power tools. 

A lot of these might already be on most boats but becomes more important in this context 

On Aug 24, 2020, at 13:57, damonalane <dlane@posteo.net> wrote:

Ryan, I think your list is reasonable. After I found myself adrift with no electrical power at all, not the motor, nor the lights or radio, as night fell, I got a full set of spare fuses. It didn't prompt me to put a 12v battery downstream of my DC/DC converter, which would have kept the lights and radio working when the propulsion system failed. I do have some spare electrical fittings on board, but haven't evaluated it as a backup kit. My boat sails well in a range of wind conditions and I sail in a limited area so that amount of backup suffices for my level of risk tolerance.

Myles' list looks much more comprehensive, like one that conservative offshore sailors would have, the type of people who could rebuild their diesel, and replace standing rigging while offshore or in some remote anchorage. I suspect many people won't want to spend that much, but they should strongly consider if they are going places where they have no access to spares and repairs, but I think many of us boat in areas with access to those things, so we just need to make it to safe harbor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment