Monday, August 24, 2020

Re: [electricboats] One more EV on the water today!

Hi Ryan, I mounted my Curtis throttle where the old throttle linkage was housed after the throttle and gear levers were removed ie. The throttle itself is housed inside the boat, to shield it from the weather, with only the 6mm curtis shaft protruding through the 15mm hole in the fibreglass where the levers were. 

The throttle is mounted on piece of 12mm ply using the angled piece of aluminium that came with the thunderstruck kit.

And this is my favourite part....the new throttle lever is an old door handle from my home.....most door handles have a square 8mm spindle - I made a shim from a piece of angled aluminium and epoxied it into the square slot in the door handle....the square 6mm curtis spindle(male) now fits firmly into the shimmed door handle(female). 

The new throttle lever/door handle can easily be removed when not in use and as the curtis spindle is flush to the cockpit fiberglass, my smallish sailboat cockpit(26ft sloop)is now free of throttle levers to snag lines and legs on. 

This throttle lever solution was so cost effective(free) Ive made a second removable lever that i keep on-board just in case I deep-six the first o e.

Happy e-boating:)




On Tue, 25 Aug 2020, 14:41 Ryan Sweet, <ryan@ryansweet.org> wrote:
Just a note to thank everyone for their help and suggestions, and to report that I motored out of the marina under electric power for the first time this evening.

There is a lot of little work to do still to make it really usable (anyone care to share how they housed/mounted their Curtis throttles?), but its basically functional.

I will do some preliminary trials tomorrow and share some photos and things I have learned.  In the meantime, I am grateful for the opportunity to keep learning and now also start sharing.





_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#30672) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment