Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Re: [electricboats] How do I power my little launch?

That's a really nice looking little launch.

The 5kw kit is definitely more than you need, but it doesn't really hurt much to have extra power that you don't use. I do however think that 3kw would be more than enough for you to achieve hull speed. The key will be to get the proper propeller and shaft speed reduction for efficient use of the battery power. 


On Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 12:34:01 PM PDT, Dean is retired <dwilson@mcad.edu> wrote:


Hi Carsten-

My calculated speed is 5.1-5.5 mph. My boat, fully equipped, without passengers, will be under 700 pounds. My thinking is that pushing a light boat with a little more power, if desired, might give it another knot or two. I would normally try to run at 1/2 to 2/3 power to get my displacement speed. 

I don't believe the difference in price between 3kw and 5kw would be too significant.

If it IS overkill, where do I start, to put together all the components? I AM a rookie here. That's what I liked about the Thunderstruck package.....it's all there, save for the batteries and charging system.

Thanks for responding,
Dean 

No comments:

Post a Comment