Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Re: [electricboats] How do I power my little launch?

Dean,

I push a 3000 pound 26 foot boat at about 3.5 mph with 1 kw using two 0.7hp 50 amp DC Motors.
I push a 350 pound (including my lovely ars) 17' canoe at about 5 mph with 0.4kw using a 0.7 hp electric trolling motor.
Key to the efficiency are using tuned props with the right pitch and diameter for my particular boat and not minding it taking a minute or two to get up to cruising speed.

I spent $279.00 on each motor, $4.00 on the prop.  More details as requested.

Thanks,

Ken Cooke
Kentucky River




On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 3:33 PM Dean is retired <dwilson@mcad.edu> wrote:
Hi Carsten-

My calculated speed is 5.1-5.5 mph. My boat, fully equipped, without passengers, will be under 700 pounds. My thinking is that pushing a light boat with a little more power, if desired, might give it another knot or two. I would normally try to run at 1/2 to 2/3 power to get my displacement speed. 

I don't believe the difference in price between 3kw and 5kw would be too significant.

If it IS overkill, where do I start, to put together all the components? I AM a rookie here. That's what I liked about the Thunderstruck package.....it's all there, save for the batteries and charging system.

Thanks for responding,
Dean 

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#30684) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment